Best Practice Documents
- Lessons Learned: Learning from other peoples mistakes
- Example Near Miss Report
- Example Near Miss Report - Completed
- Second Example Near Miss Report - Completed
Video: Target Zero
Managing Safe Work Documents
Submitted by Chevron Mining Inc.
NMA has also developed a Crisis Communications Template and a Mine Rescue Handbook. The template provides guidance on how operations can better prepare to meet communications challenges and effective communications during a crisis situation. The format allows users to customize the template to meet their needs and policies. The handbook serves as a guide for those developing mine rescue protocols and procedures as well as a review tool for those who have established procedures in place.
Coal Mine Safety
NMA has produced the Coal Mine Safety Fact Sheet showing trends in production and safety, as well as providing coal mine safety facts.
Prepared by Rio Tinto Minerals
Managing Safety Risks in Mining
Prepared for the National Mining Association by Prof. Jim Joy, University of Queensland, Australia
- Full Report
- Abstract/Executive Summary
- Sec. 3 Risk Assessment and Analysis Techniques and Tools
- Sec. 4 Elements of an Major Hazard Risk Assessment (MHRA)
Additional NIOSH Risk Assesment Documents:
- Focus on Prevention: Conducting a Fire Risk Assessment
- Using Major Hazard Risk Assessment to Appraise and Manage Escapeway Instability Issues: A Case Study
- Major Hazard Risk Assessment Applied to Pillar Recovery Operations
- Ergonomic Assessment of Musculoskeletal Risk Factors at Four Mine Sites: Underground Coal, Surface Copper, Surface Phosphate, and Underground Limestone
The following is a paper on risk management entitled Reducing risks,protecting people: HSE’s decision-making process developed by the Health and Safety Executive of Great Britain.
The following is a pocket-guide on risk management developed by the Institute of Quarrying, Australia and the New South Wales Government. They have also developed a series of companion pocket-cards.